So Google did a tribute to Buchi Emecheta on her posthumous birthday last weekend with a doodle of her on their homepage to celebrate her wonderful life and writing career. We noticed most people don’t know much about her asides some of her popular books.
So we have decided to tell you guys a few things you probably didn’t know about Buchi Emecheta. Here are 5 things to know about her.
- She got a B.sc in Sociology from the University of London, a degree which she pursued while trying to raise her five kids at the same time. In her autobiography “Second-Class Citizen” she gave an account of why she left her husband, it was an unhappy and violent relationship.
2. Buchi Emecheta has written so many books in the pasts, with many of the stories touching some of her life experiences and social issues. She wrote over 15 books spanning 28years, from her first piece in 1972 (In the Ditch) to her last book in the year 2000 (The New Tribe) which addressed several issues on the life of immigrants in Great Britain.
3. She has gone on to lecture in several Universities across the globe including Pennsylvania State University, Rutgers University, University of California, Los Angeles, University of Illinois, University of Calabar, Yale University and the University of London. She also worked with many cultural and literary organizations, including the Africa Centre, London.
4. Football club Camden Town Brewery has honoured her and a few other notable women that influenced their home town with illustrations of them doing works that they were known for.
5. She was also featured in BBC history magazine for the top 100 women that changed the world.
An African icon right there.
Speaking of African vibes, have you listened to Beyonce’s new album?